Update KB4343898 for Windows 8.1-x64 (Aug 2018 Rollup, incl. L1TF fix!) stuck with "Pending...

Diskutiere und helfe bei Update KB4343898 for Windows 8.1-x64 (Aug 2018 Rollup, incl. L1TF fix!) stuck with "Pending... im Bereich Allgemeines im Windows Info bei einer Lösung; The Aug 2018 Update Rollup for Windows 8.1 64-bit KB4343898 is a most important one because of the L1TF CPU bugfix contained therein. Unfortunately, on... Dieses Thema im Forum "Allgemeines" wurde erstellt von 111MilesToGo, 27. August 2018.

1. Update KB4343898 for Windows 8.1-x64 (Aug 2018 Rollup, incl. L1TF fix!) stuck with "Pending...

The Aug 2018 Update Rollup for Windows 8.1 64-bit KB4343898 is a most important one because of the L1TF CPU bugfix contained therein. Unfortunately, on my main production Windows 8.1-64 installation, this update gets stuck in a continuous "pending restart" state. I can't get it to install satisfactorily, no matter what I try.

Remark: KB4343898 installs properly in a Windows 8.1-64 virtual machine of mine, running within Oracle VirtualBox under Linux (both openSUSE Tumbleweed and Majaro) on the same machine as the malfunctioning one. And it installs properly on another PC of mine. But it fails on my main production machine!

Symptoms of malfunction of KB4343898:

• Downloading and installing work as expected before the required reboot. At this point, the Win 8.1 Updater GUI (Start Menu > "PC Settings" ("PC Einstellungen") > "Update/Recovery" ("Update/Wiederherstellung") reports the status "Pending restart" ("Ausstehender Neustart nach Installation am ..."). The Windows Control Panel ("Systemsteuerung") > Programs ("Programme") > "Programs and Features" ("Programme und Features") > "Show installed updates" ("Installierte Updates anzeigen") reports KB4343898 as installed already at this point in time.
    • Rebooting as required seems to do the extected actions, prepare Windows and install updates. However, the Updater GUI keeps reporting KB4343898 as "Pending restart", it does so perpetually.
    • From then on, my Windows continues to do the Windows preparations and updates installation at every restart or cold start of my computer. It does this either right away, or it does it after the next check for update availability (both an automatic check the next day or a manual check).
    • In conclusion, this most important update is not installing properly, and it is a time-comsuming nuisance at every restart.

In order to try the remedies I could get hold of, I am working from a system backup, fully updated except for KB4343898. I restored this backup every time a remedy would fail, and started from scratch again. In summary, NONE of the remedies worked.

1. I took the guided tour (https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors) all the way through:
      1. The troubleshooting tools claimed to have fixed some things, but to no avail.
      2. Trying to fix the update components by renaming the software distribution folders C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 (after stopping the four services wuauserv, cryptSvc, bits, msiserver) didn't help. This made the update history go away, but the system kept to do "installing updates" at every restart.
      3. Trying to fix corrupt Windows files via "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" didn't get anywhere, DISM stopped with Error 3017, asking for a reboot in order to roll its changes back. No success with that.
      4. "sfc /scannow" would not run at all, saying a system repair and reboot were pending. Yeah, sure...
    2. I downloaded KB4343898's .msu file and installed it manually. The standalone installer reported "successful installation, please reboot", wherafter everything was back to the perpetual "pending restart" plus "error during installation" status.
    3. I tried to get rid of the C:\Windows\WinSxS\pending.xml file. "takeown /f C:\Windows\WinSxS\pending.xml" was successful, but the ensuing "ren C:\Windows\WinSxS\pending.xml pending.old" would throw an "access denied" no matter what I would do (looked at security settings for this file and changed them to full access). No luck with this published method, access denied! Funny enough, I was allowed to text-edit pending.xml and delete its inner contents. However, this didn't help the perpetual "pending restart" either. At this point, the Updater GUI reported an error code 80073712 for KB4343898 in addition to the "pending restart" status.
    4. I tried downloading / installing KB4343898 without my antivirus software, i.e. deactivating the AutoProtect of Norton Security. No success either, as expected.

Thus, I am down to the following questions:

1. Anybody out there who could offer other methods of remedy? Anybody who has succeeded in getting this update to install? In case of a successful remedy, how would I know for sure that this update has installed in full and properly?
    2. I am URGENTLY asking Microsoft to get KB4343898 fixed, since it has the MANDATORY bugfix for the L1TF CPU flaw.

I am sparing you the rant. Just one thing though: I used to run two Windows 10 machines, until one of the fat upgrade rounds sent them both down the drain by causing perpetual BSOD's. So I ruefully returned to Windows 8.1, hoping for a smooth sailing (well, that worked for a bit more than half a year until now...). So I have not only lost the money for two Windows 10 licenses to Microsoft, but now I received the headaches and pains I am reporting here.

2. User Advert

Hi,

willkommen im Windows Forum!
Thema:

Update KB4343898 for Windows 8.1-x64 (Aug 2018 Rollup, incl. L1TF fix!) stuck with "Pending... - Allgemeines

Die Seite wird geladen...

Update KB4343898 for Windows 8.1-x64 (Aug 2018 Rollup, incl. L1TF fix!) stuck with "Pending... - Similar Threads - Update KB4343898 for

Forum Datum

Wieder Probleme mit den Augen nach Windows-Update

Wieder Probleme mit den Augen nach Windows-Update: Hallo zusammen,ich hatte schon öfters von meinen Problemen mit trockenen, brennenden Augen in Verbindung nach Windows-Updates berichtet, u.a. hier:Probleme mit den Augen - Microsoft CommunityDaher...
Apps 16. Februar 2023

Wieder Probleme mit den Augen nach Windows-Update

Wieder Probleme mit den Augen nach Windows-Update: Hallo zusammen,ich hatte schon öfters von meinen Problemen mit trockenen, brennenden Augen in Verbindung nach Windows-Updates berichtet, u.a. hier:Probleme mit den Augen - Microsoft CommunityDaher...
Games und Spiele 16. Februar 2023

Probleme mit den Augen nach Windows-Update

Probleme mit den Augen nach Windows-Update: Nach dem dieser unsympathische und unverschämte Volunteer Moderator INGO BÖTTCHER meinen Beitrag geschlossen hat ohne dass ich seine Antwort kommentieren durfte, hier noch meine Antwort auf seinen...
Microsoft Office 30. Oktober 2022

Probleme mit den Augen nach Windows-Update: Hallo zusammen,ich habe eine Frage, eventuell kann mir jemand weiterhelfen.Ich habe seit Jahren sehr oft, nicht immer, aber sehr oft, Probleme mit der Sicht nach erfolgten Windows-Update. Das...
Apps 20. Oktober 2022

Probleme mit den Augen nach Windows-Update: Hallo zusammen,ich habe eine Frage, eventuell kann mir jemand weiterhelfen.Ich habe seit Jahren sehr oft, nicht immer, aber sehr oft, Probleme mit der Sicht nach erfolgten Windows-Update. Das...
Games und Spiele 20. Oktober 2022

keine Internetverbindung seit update Aug. 2018

keine Internetverbindung seit update Aug. 2018: Seit dem Windows-Update (Windows 7, 32 bit) am 21./22. August 2018 habe ich keine Internetverbindung mehr. In der Anzeige im Monitor scheint alles perfekt, der Computer erkennt keinen Fehler, auch...
Allgemeines 25. August 2018

2018-02 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4074598)...

2018-02 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4074598)...: Seit Anfang Februar lassen sich keine Sicherheits-Updates für Win 7 (64 bit) machen. Ich habe schon den Virenscanner Norton 360 online deinstalliert und in diesem Zustand das Update probiert -...
Allgemeines 3. März 2018
Update KB4343898 for Windows 8.1-x64 (Aug 2018 Rollup, incl. L1TF fix!) stuck with "Pending... solved

Users found this page by searching for:

1. KB4343898

1. Diese Seite verwendet Cookies, um Inhalte zu personalisieren, diese deiner Erfahrung anzupassen und dich nach der Registrierung angemeldet zu halten.
    Auf dieser Website werden Cookies für die Zugriffsanalyse und Anzeigenmessung verwendet.
    Wenn du dich weiterhin auf dieser Seite aufhältst, akzeptierst du unseren Einsatz von Cookies.